Monday, January 19, 2009

How separate are we supposed to be?

This is a post that is just as much for me as it is for anyone that wants to read it. I have always thought about separation of the Christian from the World. Some facts that are to be taken into account in thinking about separation are:

I. We are new creatures. 2 Cor. 5:17; Eph. 4:24; Col 3:10
II. Our works will be judged. Rom. 14:10; 2 Cor. 5:10

In light of these facts we must take into account our days on this earth and how we spend them. I choose to separate myself from certain things of this world so that I might be a more able minister of the gospel. When you get tangled up in the world your focus on God becomes dim and your purpose becomes unclear. We minister to people not so that they can live a more comfortable life on earth, but so that they may spend eternity with God. Being a new creature we are destined for heaven and no longer destined for Hell.

I realize that this is a topic often discussed in may realms of Christianity, but there is never any true headway made. Just as John the Baptist said of Christ “He must increase, but I must decrease” John 3:30 and the center of that mindset is to glorify God. Also we must set our affections on things above, not on things on the earth (Col. 3:2).

I place the challenge out there for anyone to discuss.

Resting in Christ

No comments: