Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Working with youth

I have spent the last 3 1/2 to 4 years working with the youth in my local church, before that I had little to no experience working with youth in that capacity. I can say that I have learned a lot during these years and I am trying to shape my philosophy around events I have experienced through those years along with all of the technical things that I have learned throughout my bible college career. There are several things that come to my mind at first.
1. Youth (believers) are just as responsible to "work out their own salvation with fear and trembling" as adults are. They have received their spiritual gifts and are expected to use them just as adults. We all stand before Christ after the rapture and will given an account for what we have done. Now with youth, just as with an immature believer there needs to be direction by a more mature believe to guide them along. It is very important for teens and children to have an accountability partner to help them along, and I would say a peer would be the best at this, along with a parent or adult in the congregation.
2. I believe that music tends to affect teens in a more persuasive way than it does an adult. Teens are defined by their peers by the music that they listen too. If a teen chooses to separate himself or herself from the world in dress, music, and attitude in general, then they will need someone to encourage them along this narrow, seldom traveled road. If they have a peer that makes that choice with them, that can make all of the difference. When we minister to youth it is very important to be separate from the world because they are at that age when the world and their flesh is constantly tempting them to come along and enjoy all it has to offer. The last thing they need is a confirmation from their youth leader or church that the world is an okay place to be in.
3. I believe that when we teach teens and children, that we must not sacrifice doctrine for entertainment. Now it can be difficult to teach youth about foundational doctrines if we don't make it interesting at their level, but try and remember what made doctrine interesting to you and apply those same attractions. I tend to believe that teaching on the supernatural things of the rapture and millennium, glorified bodies and the war of Armageddon attract a lot of attention for a youth. If they are interested in the bible then teaching it is not difficult at all.

Finally we have to remember that ultimately the Holy Spirit does the teaching and the person makes the decision if they are going to learn or apply those things taught, to their lives. I struggle with that part tremendously. If we can instill a passion for God's word in their lives and a passion for doing what is right then they will grow in Christ-likeness without a doubt.

No comments: