Monday, September 29, 2008

Continuing the last post.

Two other things to remember when you are interpreting your bible; is to look at the Historical-Grammatical context of the text. Also remember the Scripture interprets Scripture principle. God's word will never contradict itself, it always agrees with itself. When looking at Historical and grammatical context we try to remember the time in which that book was written and we look at the language that is used in the verses. I have found that my grammer has improved dramatically since my high school days. Pronouns, participles, direct objects, etc jump out of the page as I look at God's Word indepth. Going back to God's word not contradicting itself, we have to remember to interpret based on context, starting from the ultimate context, God's purpose in giving us His word and His overall purpose to glorify Himself throught all the ages past, present, and future. The Bible is intended to be understood by the most immature mind up to the most intelligent minds, it always has applicable truths that change our lives in what ever time period we live in. I recommend reading God's Word with only you and the Holy Spirit, you can learn so much if you are willing to dive into the Bible. There are times that commentaries open up hard to understand passages, but those are only intended for you when you have exhaused your own abilities. I have found that people tend to rely on men of old to explain God's word to them and when something does not agree with what they have said, they write it off as false teaching. God never intended us to trust men over the Holy Spirit's teaching. The only way that we are going to mature is if we spend time in His word, learning what He has to teach us and praying for direction as we do this.

1 comment:

Jason Payton said...

Hi Justin,

I've been reading your blog for a couple months now and I noticed that your last several posts have dealt with topics that are tangential to the ones with which I've been dealing over at my blog.

sjep.blogspot.com

I don't know if you have visited it, but feel free to read and comment. I feel compelled to answer some of the statements made in this post, but because of their potential length I thought it might be better if I do so in a post at my blog that continues in the theme of my recent observations of Plymouth Brethren theology.

As always, I try my best to be irenic, relevant, and to the point when I answer oppositions to what I believe. So, instead of anonymously answering the comments you have posted in the prose of a post on by blog, without you being aware, I wanted to let you know of my intentions.

And remember, if you ever have any questions about what Calvinism, Covenant Theology, or Amillennialism teaches, feel free to ask me, I would be more than happy to try and answer them. As I am sure that you would be happy to answer any questions I have of Dispensationalism.

As far as I am concerned, we can be comfortable discussing our disagreements, resting assured that we disagree both as brothers by blood, and by regeneration.